View Single Post
Old 02-12-2001, 04:34 PM   #12
alzagor

DWB's probably tinkering on some new submission/proposal for another game. Dunno if it'd be a Wizards sequel. Chances are it'll definately be some fantasy/RPG type game.

Concerning development woes:
I was really upset when they removed the 3rd person camera and the ability to split up your party. I suppose since the public had never seen Wizards in that way, it wasn't missed that much. But after playing it for several years and working over a year on PC animation and costumes, it was hard to just let it go. It was damn exciting watching the characters I built up from scratch tromp around the world on horseback or swim or shoot spells. Despite some pretty dynamic camera AI, I heard it was ultimately removed because the dungeon's weren't made to support the over-the-head camera with it's low ceilings. Of course I think this option should be left up to the individual player (and if those new levels were ever put in, it'd alleviate alot of this "low-ceiling" issue). What more than likely happened (I'm just guessing) is that the PCs were removed because over the system requirments. I think the engine was pushing a minimum of 72 MB of RAM just to operate with all it's bells and whistles (including the XX MB PC models with their 700x800something textures). A good way to cut that down is to just wipe those guys out. Probably should have gone with a skeletal based animation set rather than the single-mesh/vertex animation system, but at the time (1995), skeletal stuff just wasn't that impressive.

ramble ramble