View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 11:39 AM   #18
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

"I see everyone here is against this woman for smacking her kid. I have a question for everyone , how do we know the kid didnt earn a smack?"

Sorry, but you just didn't see the tape. I got my fair share of smackings, spankings, paddlings, and whuppins when I was young, and I believe I more-or-less deserved it. And, though I'm not a parent yet, if and when I am so lucky, I intend to use corporal punishment. But what this woman did was criminal. Forget child abuse - it's called aggravated battery. Trust me, I see kids in my local store all the time and wish the parent would just spank the shit out of 'em right there. But this was so obviously wrong.

And Azred, I don't entirely agree with you. I think corporal punishment has its place. Children are not logical at all times, and an open discourse can only go so far. And, punishment of some nature must be given for wrong acts. At certain ages, I don't think children comprehend the future "no TV for a week" ramifications of acts as well as the immediate "Ow that hurt." At other ages and stages, I think other forms of punishment work better - so long as the parent has the willpower to see them through.

I will say that I respected my father when he spanked me. He would not spank me in the immediate moment, when tempers were flared, but would send me away and tell me he would be there to spank me. He would say "you did X, we've discussed the price of doing X before, and now I'm going to spank you." I think it was effective.

"That's why I go to Wal-Mart - to watch people hit their kids." - Jeff Foxworthy
"If the people do not love you, at least let them fear you" George RR Martin, I think this is a Lord Tywin quote.