View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 09:30 AM   #14
realbinky
Elminster

How any of you are parents? If there is a HISTORY of abuse, there is an issue. Answer me this: is it better to let your kid be an out-of-control terror, in which case they could certainly end up hurt or dead by themselves; or control the kid with a good thrashing so that they fear it enough to not misbehave and not get in trouble and never get it again? She may have warned the kid a number of times. I have 2 children, and I believe in corporal punishment. Spanking and swatting is used in my house. This is not because I dislike my children, I love them very much. I think they will be better children for the discipline they get. And lately, neither of them misbehave a lot, and are always under control, but it only takes a few quiet words in most cases. I can go to any store, restaurant or park, and my kids are well behaved. I get comments on it. I have wigged out a couple times, when my youngest, 2, tried to stick something in an oultet, and another time when he played with the power sitch on power strip. He got some serious spanking, and a couple cheek smacks, as it was seriously dangerous. I'll tell you this, though- he will think twice about playing with outlets and such and I breathe easier knowing this. Should I coddle him, but wonder when he will next do this? No I make it so onerous that he doesn't want to do it again.

Did you know in 10+ states, it is still legal for SCHOOLs to use a paddle on your kids for punishment? I wish they would use it on a few kids.

Sorry for the lenghth. But I think she should get off, but with probation or something. She states actual regret, and I believe her. She took it too far, but sometimes, we have to protect kids from themselves.