View Single Post
Old 07-23-2002, 11:36 AM   #13
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
I can make it even more "unbelievable" for you if you wish.
One in three women have experienced some kind of sexual threat, pressure or assault. It's as sad as that.
You may choose to disbelieve or disregard the facts, but your estimate of 1 in 20,000 is a whole lot more unrealistic than 1 in 20. Remember that a LOT of rapes take place in the woman's personal circle. Remember that if your boyfriend/partner/husband rapes you, it's STILL rape. It's a sad fact but it's true.
I'm with Melisine on this one. It is quite naive to think the figure 1 in 20000. Remember, those figures were throughout BRITAIN.
I had a friend in college who dropped out when she married a 43 year old (she was 18) he started abusing her, and the strain on her was easily noticed, both physically and mentally. We had a tight group of VERY close friends, and we had all been together for a very long time, so we were deeply troubled by this. None of us could do anything, though, as she wouldn't leave him (she was too afraid, and this adds more sadness to the story). It all got very messy, involving a few of us getting charged with assualt by our friend's husband. However, she did eventually go to the police and he is now serving 15 years (thank god). She has never really recovered from this, and still flinches A LOT and gets scared when she hears a car in the driveway. Also, the guy's family are real bastards, and keep giving her a hard time.