View Single Post
Old 07-19-2001, 10:03 AM   #32
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by deathknight:
IMHO whoever listed staff of the magi and 3 or 4 reasons why its overrated just think about that. I can see saying yeah this 1 thing I can do with this spell or this other thing I can do with another spell. But common thats a whole list of things. I mean I can do just as much damage with a butter knife as I could do with the crom faeyr if you give me enough attacks and enough buff spells and such. The staff has some real good uses, especially in the hands of a multiclassed thief. Being able to backstab and go invis over and over in plain view is nice...
Nevertheless, I still think the staff is overrated based on its common-knowledge reputation. A +5 enchanted weapon that dispels magic with each hit is nice, if the target has magic to be dispelled. On the other hand, how many people use the fireball/lightning bolt effect?

Based on all its hype, the Staff doesn't live up to its own reputation. Enough monsters see through invisibility or cast Oracle/True Sight, one Ruby Ray and the Spell Trap disappears, and Breach ends the Protection from Evil. How many hit points do you have? Not enough--Power Word: Stun.

True, all items have limitations/weaknesses; the combination of factors for the Staff make it overrated.

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....

Who are you? What do you want?