View Single Post
Old 09-21-2001, 08:12 PM   #34
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
I know, Silver Cheetah. It would be better for the environment, and no worse for us if we all ate soy beans, in fact I think evolutionarily it has been shown from our teeth that we in fact are not suposed to be meat eaters. My argument against hunting isn't people who hunt to eat, but people who hunt for recreation. I absolutely agree about the poultry industry etc, there are better more humane ways to do it, but I just don't think it's feasible to argue that we shouldn't eat meat because that will never happen.

I wouldn't go so far as to suggest a diet of just soy beans! Personally, I love my food, I find eating to be a very sensual experience, and I would be the first to start complaining if my diet was limited in any way.

I think if more people really knew the facts about how our meat is produced, they would become vegetarian. It's rare that we see this kind of information in the media. In the UK, we have had some documentaries, which is good. They are completely horrifying. Children especially find this kind of information horrifying and inexplicable. I think until told, many of them do not equate the plastic wrapped slabs of meat in the supermarket with the piggies and moo cows that they like so much in story books. When they make the connection, they are usually stunned and upset. It's a normal reaction.

I'm often quite puzzled at the vehemence with which people say they couldn't 'give up' meat. What's to give up? There are so many other delicious things to eat... I know lots of people who say they know the facts about intensive farming, but still choose to eat meat. I don't wish to attack anyone, but I find this just bizarre. I think if some of those people spent a day in an intensive farming situation, or in an abbattoir, they might change their minds. So many people love their cats or their dogs, and yet can eat cows and pigs.

One animal, not so very different to another, is to be loved and petted, the other is a machine for milk or meat. Human beings rational? Ho ho ho.

------------------