View Single Post
Old 09-21-2001, 07:55 PM   #32
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
I must say, I beg leave to differ. The way animals are farmed in the developed world, is, as I said before, totally inhumane and disgusting. I don't like hunting, but in many cases, bad as it is, I would prefer it to the intensive farming that produces the food people routinely buy in their supermarkets. An animal that is hunted at least has the chance to live a large part of its life in the open, in freedom. Many animals that are intensively farmed never get such an opportunity. Do you know anything about the poultry industry? The sheep farming industry? The dairy industry? The pig farming industry? It's not pretty, I can assure you.

The intensive way that we farm animals is very bad for the environment. In addition, it makes no economic sense whatsoever when it comes to feeding the world.

I know, Silver Cheetah. It would be better for the environment, and no worse for us if we all ate soy beans, in fact I think evolutionarily it has been shown from our teeth that we in fact are not suposed to be meat eaters. My argument against hunting isn't people who hunt to eat, but people who hunt for recreation. I absolutely agree about the poultry industry etc, there are better more humane ways to do it, but I just don't think it's feasible to argue that we shouldn't eat meat because that will never happen.

------------------

Goddess and Sorceress of the HADB, and her sidekick Pink