Thread: Guns.
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2002, 12:14 PM   #157
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by: Donut
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Donut
So there is no burglary in the US then - is that what you are saying?

come on get real. burglaries happen LESS often per capita within the US than in countries that have self-defenseless citizens. guns are a deterient.

Absolute rubbish. Where are the facts to back up this ridiculous statement.
Donut, in regards to your question/statement i want to apologize for what i wrote. I do not have any valid evidence or statistics to back up this (true or untrue) statement that i made. I was merely going off of my memory of what a friend of mine told me. I since asked him if it is indeed a founded fact and he said that he neither heard of this broad statement, nor remembers telling it to me. After I rejogged his memory he said that I am probably refering to a finding that he HEARD about in reference to the increase of home-burglaries in CANADA after they outlawed, confuscated and destroyed their citizens firearms. This was quite irresponsible of me to make a "factual" statement without providing sources and findings to back it up. I ought to have done my own research on this topic and not rely on heresy by others to back up my own convictions.

BUT...(I'm sure you knew this was coming), I still am a strong beleiver in the logic behind the idea that more legally armed (and well trained i must add) citizens equals a safer society. Like I said, I need to do my own research on the topic of "gun control" and WILL BE in the coming days.

Also, in regards to your attempt at correcting the legitimacy of the Churchill quote I had in my signature....

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Donut
BTW - given the respect that Winston Churchill has in the US I think it only right to point out the inaccuracy in the the quote in your sig. Firstly there is no record of Churchill ever using these words. Secondly, even if he had, both of the words 'Liberal' and 'Conservative should be capitalised because they refer to political parties rather than fixed political ideologies. It is the same as describing someone as a democrat or a Democrat. The first meaning someone who believes in democracy and the second meaning a supporter of the Democrat party.
I have found a source that also knows of this such quote. I will say that this qoute (look at bottom of post) is SLIGHTLY different from what i originally had on my signature but nevertheless, it is essentially the same in meaning.

My original signature--> "If you are not liberal by age 20 then you have no heart, and if you are not conservative by age 40 then you have no mind." -Winston Churchill

Source--> http://www.greenleafenterprises.com/main.asp?p=qu
Obviously you will find it under "C".

I want to explain that the original source for my first quote of Churchill was from the brilliant William F. Buckley Jr.
More specifically from his book, "Let Us Talk of Many Things", a book consisting of Buckley's personal favorite speeches that he himself had made over his lifetime. However I want to mention that i do not (at this time) have the exact page from within this book, that I believe (99.99% sure) I originally obtained my first version of Churchill's snappy quote.

Hopefully I have cleared up any confusions.