View Single Post
Old 03-06-2001, 01:45 PM   #48
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Being young doesnt seem so easy these days,sigh

Amen, LoA, amen

Charlie, I do agree with you about the availability issue. I am appalled to hear news stories of kids in my own town found standing at bus stops with loaded guns in their possesion. They got them from their drug-dealer parent. Just walked in and picked the damn things up off a table where they lay around waiting for disaster to strike.

I have a friend in NZ who has these 'discussions' about banning guns with others on my list. They end in bad blood and usually mean the participants have to take a break to cool off and start over. So this topic makes me uneasy. But here goes.

I honestly wish this country could or would do what hers, yours and so many others do- not only ban them but ENFORCE the ban. But we have issues with that too. We are a huge monstrosity of a country and when it comes to making hard and fast rules, we play POLITICALLY CORRECT too often. All the pros and cons go round and round and nothing is done. Money and politicians get together and things bog down.

I close by saying that my dad's family has always used guns for sport- deer hunting mostly but my dad is the only one who stopped doing it when he joined the AF at 18. He never went again, didn't care for it. He did two stints in Vietnam and saw horrors I can't begin to truly imagine and he came back admantly opposed to guns in the house. I just naturally assumed that nobody kept a gun in their house for most of my youth. But, the sad fact is, they do for whatever reasons. And many of them are criminal. As some others have mentioned above, we don't even enforce the laws we HAVE on the books in this country. I sometimes think that's the biggest contributor to the trouble we face now.

We Americans are at a point where the violence doesn't seem to phase us as it used to or should. We see it every day in real life and in entertainment -television, movies, games etc. We're bombarded with it day in and day out - media news IS mostly bad and the hottest box office sellers usually involve a lot of gore and explosions. We are saturated with it and kids take it as part and parcel of life. That bothers me more than anything else. To take life for granted- to think that life , yours or someone elses is not worth the time it takes to snuff it out....I find that the most painful "truth" of our society.

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight