View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #20
SecretMaster
Apophis

Default Re: Giant Plumes of Oil... A way to clean those up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
So we all know about the Oil Spill. The cracked pipe is closed as far as we know finally, but they said they found a 22 mile plume of oil under the water.
I know oil is heaver, and since the leak was deep under water, could this oil plume be like a 'bubble' of oil? If so, could they stick some pipes/hoses/whatever into this plume and begin sucking the oil out onto a tanker?

IF it's like over 90% oil, that would be a good way to go, right?
Anyone here know the physics of this, and could it work?
I don't think there is much anyone can do about these tremendously huge oil plumes. Your idea in theory could be sound (although I'm not certain as to the makeup of this oil plumes, I'm not certain anyone truly is), but practicality/technicality becomes an issue. Somehow I imagine trying to vacu-suck (Spaceballs reference) would be quite a challenge, and probably wouldn't yield very much captured oil. To be honest, I haven't heard of any suggestions as to what to do with these giant oil plumes, presumably because there really isn't much we can do except prepare for wherever it "lands". A dismal answer to give, and probably one that lacks depth but the fact that I don't hear much about trying to capture the oil plumes leads me to believe that it is probably impractical to begin with.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote