View Single Post
Old 05-23-2004, 03:56 PM   #43
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I think its premature to dismiss it as Arab and European lies when no other media agency, including Fox and Abc in America, have run a similar story. A live BBC camera crew at the scene yesterday said that the evidence seems to bear out the Iraqi version of events rather than the military one...

EDIT: And the with reference to the media record during this war, it is the American media and military that has earned a reputation for telling bare faced lies. I'll always remember an American military spokesman telling us that the Iraqi 5th army had fled without firing a shot. Then I watched a live embedded Al-Jazeera broadcast with the 5th army all in position and waiting for the Americans to arrive. We had the Americans telling us that another city was completely calm, and again an embedded Al-Jazeera reporter standing with bombs falling all around him, taking us to see the casualties in hospital.

The American media and military promote the myth that you can bomb urban areas with no casualties, then fight to keep them off our screens. Hence the accusations of loyalty to Saddam against Al-Jazeera, even though he had booted them out of Iraqi for being too impartial and therefore not complimentary enough.

Although it is a hellish little forum, you were absolutely right the other night

[ 05-23-2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote