Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
Spybot S&D
Ad-Aware
AVG Anti-virus
ZoneAlarm

I tried all of these. Some seemed like they wanted to take over too much. When I ran 1 of them, it searched, then asked if I wanted to clean things. I said said yes and it brought up a window to register and said save $10 now! At that point I closed everything and removed it.

I also don't understand the difference between spyware and viruses. The ones listed above seem to be all spyware programs.
I think you're thinking of the wrong program. Spybot S&D for example is totally free, there is no option to buy it, it's totally freeware.

Adaware does have a free and a pay version, and I think you can get a 30 days demo of the pay one, but the free version does clean up files and doesn't ask you for money either.

Zonealarm is a firewall, it doesn't search or clean anything, and doesn't ask for anything.

I'm not sure what you mean about taking over too much, but those are security programs, if they are to do their job they have to be active and running at all time, just like paid for security programs.

But there ARE viruses that pretend to be anti-spyware/adware programs but are really scam. Those are the one that pup up telling you you have a problem and let you scan, then ask you to register before you can remove the fake things they found. But the one above are not like that, which is why I think you're thinking of the wrong program.

[ 11-27-2006, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]