View Single Post
Old 01-05-2005, 01:28 PM   #16
Thoran
Galvatron

Well there were quite a few that I was not aware of, but even my limited trivia knowledge detected a few that are wrong or sound a bit too much like "internet lore"

-U.S. Currency is 75% cotton and 25% linen (flax), and while in this case I think they mean "wood pulp", using the word "paper" is inacurate, since paper can be made out of many different materials. In reality, currency is 100% "paper"... it's just cotton/linen paper.

-the "Rule of Thumb" has no legal historical relationship with domestic violence and is most likely a term denoting "approximate measurements".

-female ferrets "may" not "will" die if they come into heat and are not bred. It is life threatening but not universally fatal... if you have a female ferret as a pet, get her fixed!

-Happy Meal sales represent 40% of Mcdonalds profits... HIGHLY unlikely, and since Mcdonalds doesn't publish per-item financial information it'd be tough to prove or disprove.

-Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from Public Libraries. - Sounds a bit too convenient... and an informal survey from the ALA found that "books on witchcraft/occult/dreams/astrology, as well as exam preparation books." were the most frequently stolen.

Thats the problem with the Internet... any bozo can publish something as a "fact" and if it sounds good 3000 other people will propegate it. [img]smile.gif[/img]