View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 02:18 AM   #5
Shadow Stranger

Default Re: Decrypting Save Game Files

If anyone wants to have a stab at decrypting the item entries in the save game files, here is my understanding of how they work:

The records for the 56 backpack squares are listed (implicitly) in natural order, first left to right, then top to bottom. The details of any item are listed in the entry for only one square. The details of a multi – square item are listed in the entry for the top left square of the space it occupies. If the item has a width of 1, the top square holds the records.

My understanding for what it is worth: whenever the entry for a square contains the details for an item, the entry remains until it is overwritten. Even when the item is dropped or sold, the entry still remains. It is only overwritten by the details for a new item being listed for the entry in that square.

The first two numbers are the components of the item’s decimal number, thus “3B 01” = 59 + 1*256 = 315, the number of the Sword of Kerah. It seems to be the case that they also act as an “item still exists” tag. If both numbers are zero then the item is no longer in that square, this seems to be the only change that happens when an item is removed from a square.

This will possibly speed up the decryption because there will be a much larger number of specimen entries.

Wizards & Warriors seems to be “little – end first”, the base – 256 digit is on the left then the base – 256 powers increase as one goes right.

My hunch is that item size (the number of squares the item occupies in the inventory screen) is a function of the graphic number. I changed the graphic of the custom item the Lute of Ishad Nha, from 243 to 230, that changed the actual size of the Lute from 2x3 to 1x1. Here that was the only change that I made.

Last edited by Shadow Stranger; 01-07-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote