View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 09:29 AM   #96
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

(Part 2)

Whilst Mazzy confronted Wallace, I paused a moment to admire a philosophical debate between two inhabitants of the city. Thanks to the lessons of my foster-father Gorion I had learned to appreciate the value of these discussions even if I find it difficult to follow at times! After enjoying their conversation I was really starting to appreciate the quality of life that Trademeet offered so I was absolutely incensed when one of the participants called over a hired thug to kill his opponent! Can you believe it?! Does civilisation never reign in the town, no matter how pleasant the face it presents to the world is?
Quote:

High-strung and even higher-brow conversation abounds in Trademeet!

I of course rushed to the aid of the aged philosopher but was too late to save him from the quick strike of a sword. The old figure tottered unsteadily and sank to the ground in my arms. I remember crying out with rage as I laid him gently to rest on the ornate paving and I set off after the rapidly retreating thug. A quick arrow past his head convinced him it would be a good idea to stand his ground and within seconds I was on him, my hastily-drawn blade buried to the hilt in his deserving stomach. I pushed him off my sword to the ground as quickly as I could disentangle us and, despite frantically looking around for the instigator of this barbarism, had to give up the chase. Apparently he had made off during the brief disturbance. I regarded the townspeople pressed against the railings of the promenade in fear and flashed them an angry glare - I'd just dispatched a dangerous murderer for them! Their lives are safer now and I couldn't help but think that a little gratitude might be in order...

After rejoining the party and waving away Saerileth's questioning look, Mazzy led us to the temple in Trademeet. It was a typically lavish affair - gigantic in scale and lavish in appointment with a wonderous statue in the middle. I had to bite back a snort when the Overgold asked "what humble assistance" could he offer - humble indeed!
Quote:

Breathtaking mosaics on the floor of the Trademeet temple

Despite the initial impression however, the Overgold was actually a deferential, thoughtful and intelligent man and agreed to investigate the quarters of the new supplier for Wallace, a new adept named Barl.
Quote:

Mazzy and Detheriel ascend the stairs to speak to the Overgold.

He returned ashen-faced with news of an alchemy set and a symbol from Talona, the mistress of poison! Barl proved somewhat less polite than his employer but Mazzy proved very adept at teaching his corpse some manners.
Quote:

The Overgold looks on in horror as his temple is turned into a battleground!

We had more difficulty with the gaseous poison beasts that Barl had summoned - Mazzy's predictions that Talona would refuse to aid him were proved inaccurate!
Quote:

Blood fountains on to the mosaic in the temple as Mazzy makes the killing strike.
Mazzy found an antidote on Barl's body and rushed off to administer it whilst the rest of us stayed behind to assist the elderly Overgold by disposing of the corpse and scrubbing the worst of the blood from the ornate tiles. We trekked back to the Fentan household and Mazzy told us that it was too early to tell whether the antidote was working.

As she wished to remain by the bedside for the night, we threw down a couple of rugs in the corner and bedded down. I ended up sleeping with Saerileth on one side and Kelsey on the other and the proximity to Saerileth was simply electrifying. I lay as stiff as a board with every muscle tensed, hardly daring to breathe as the strange aroma of sweat, leather, metal and Saerileth filled my world. I found myself unable to relax for fear that I might brush against her as she slept and it was early into the morning - long after a caring Mazzy blew out the bedside candle - before the remorseless march of sleep overtook me.

[ 10-15-2005, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote