View Single Post
Old 12-05-2002, 10:18 AM   #13
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Borvik:
Societal order? Hmm it's nothing new and surely not invented by human beeings. Tools? Ok with that.

BUT intelligence????? Homo sapiens sapiens will be the first being on earth capable of erasing itself from exactly this world. And IMHO he well manage to do so due to the total lack of intelligence.

I'm not sure if I'd like to be the most powerful predator. But I'm quiet sure we are not superior - instead I agree with Ladyzekke humans are dominant.
Societal order beyond a "pack" is unique to humans. As far as being able to erase ourselves, that goes with being "Too smart for our own good". I wouldn't bet your paycheck on it happening though. Don't doubt that if other species had the abilty, they too would consume the planet at our rate, and with less regard for polluting the environment at that.

It doesn't matter if you want to be a predator or not. The point was that you could be if you wanted to. The ability to do it is the indicator of your species dominance. Eating any animal based product is an indirect predatory act. Without modern agricultural developments, it's impossible for us to subsist strictly on wild plants. We cannot break down cellulose, the key energy source used by grazing animals. Green leafy veggies are mostly passed through our digestive tract. We ARE omnivores and meant to eat more animal proteins in the absence of sugar/fat containing fruits/seeds/tubers. The fact that we cannot digest cellulose, but so readily can convert animal proteins into sugars (and subsequently fatty acids) is an undeniable indicator of our hereditary dietary needs.

As far as superiority goes. If your point of view includes the matter of our success as a species in varying environments and in competition with other species, then we are indeed superior.