View Single Post
Old 10-09-2001, 01:35 PM   #38
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
John, from my reading of the New Testament, Jesus taught among other things to give up virtually all worldly possessions in pursuit of the spiritual life. He thought that the pursuit of worldly possessions was a hindrance to true spirituality, as exemplified by such statements as "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven."

Now, this seems to contrast markedly with the "religion" of capitalism (and I agree with Yorick that capitalism itself can be seen as a religion), which preaches diametrically opposite things, namely how the purpose of existence is precisely to pursue worldly possessions.

Dio, it's harder for a rich man, because money is often more important to the rich man - he has more to lose. One must be prepared to forsake anything in following Christ, but like Abrahams sacrifice of Isaac, doesn't necessarily have to forsake everything. Whatever the thing is one "cannot" give up for God, is the very thing they possibly need to.

One can possess money without worshiping or be a slave to it. It just gets more difficult as more is accumulated.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!