View Single Post
Old 10-17-2001, 01:22 AM   #30
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by StarVid:
I'd like to agree with you, but I don't.

It was like this on battle.net. All the cheaters would talk newbies out of being purists. That's where the pkers, pkkers, and hacked characters with 500hps with an armor class of 1,000,000 came in. It became impossible to get into a legit game. It was also like this for PnP D&D. When I first started, everyone was into playing by the rules and not going for the ubergod character. Then as time went on, the "younger generation" (though they were only a few years younger than us), wanted to play but would all play these cheesegods.

In short, all this "customization" ruined battle.net, ruined PnP, so if somebody is going to ask about cheats, I'm going to be a smart ass.

Though I should add, I'm not against cheats in some very rare occasions. For example, one time in BG1, after the showdown at the palace, I couldn't talk to Belt for some reason, he just wouldn't speak, in that case I wouldn't be against using a cheat to teleport to the entrance to the underground place (since you were going to end up there in two seconds anyway if the game was working), but hacking in +50 swords is too much.

How could I tell that you were speaking from the voice of experience?

There's a BIG difference between cheating to turn yourself into an ubermunchkin and customizing to maximize enjoyment of your game. TeamBG is not about ruining multiplayer by creating scores of PKers. I totally agree with you that multiplayer games should not include customized weapons as this has been abused by thousands of people and is the primary source source of frustration facing the BG customization scene today. (I'm not active in that scene, but I know a lot of people who are.)

To me, customization and modding to derive new enjoyment and prolong the lifespan of your game in singleplayer is fine. After all, nobody is being affected except you. You're only cheating yourself, and if you enjoy it, so what?

I'm not knocking your opinion as you are entitled to it, given your personal experiences, I'm just trying to show you the flip side of the coin you've described. For every PKer out there there's also someone who wants to create a new map or tileset to put towards creating a new expansion mod to enhance the game for others.

------------------