View Single Post
Old 05-30-2001, 03:34 AM   #41
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

ok, listen up all you predictors and prognosticators...

fact: there were originally twenty (20) bhaalspawn ("he will spawn a score of mortal progeny"; score=20)

fact: sufficient death and destruction adds to the, uh, power rating regarding ascending to the throne, i.e. who gets to be the new god

fact: some bhaalspawn have already been eliminated (the intro movie for bg definitely implies that at LEAST one is gone)

fact: since there being two bhaals would be ridiculous, it follows that for there to be a new lord of murder, only one bhaalspawn can survive.

at least four of the bhaalspawn were "normal" (bg intro dead guy, the pc, imoen, sarevok), and the supposed fifth is a fire giant (where did that come from again?), so while this is hardly a majority, it seems safe to say the avatar of bhaal didnt copulate with any dragons or other powerful creature. besides that child not having much competition to the throne, it would present too obvious a target for extermination by both the other spawn and, more importantly, groups like the harpers, radiant heart, etc.

my theory is this: the end goal, assuming you're being a good guy and don't want to be the lord of murder (sicko!), is not to ascend but rather prevent anyone from ascending, which boils down to making sure at least two bhaalspawn survive since ascension becomes default if there is only one remaining.

given that imoen is something of "pal" but seems to be slowly turning to the dark side ("death is... pretty", etc), ToB may be about finding a way to supernaturally extract the essence of bhaal from you and her before she wipes you out. that's right, imoen's the bad guy. and on the assumption that you and her would be the only bhaalspawn left (i imagine the pc will have to eliminate at least one or two more, and she may kill even more), you cant just kill her, both because she's not totally in control of herself AND it would promote you.

anyway, that's my theory. the irenicus thing gave me the idea of extracting essences so i do think it's possible bhaal may end up in a gem somewhere guarded by you and your sister against any other god-wannabe's.

Amergin

------------------
blessed are the cheesemakers