View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 03:49 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The USPS is a company that needs to review its practices. However, to put it differently... how much would you expect to pay to send a letter from Chicago to California? You have to admit that .37 or .41 is rather cheap, compared to sending it via Fedex or some other carrier.

Put another way, how many .25 cent (arbitrarily chosed) envelopes would you have to carry to justify delivering them to any given address?

The issue is the infrastructure -- the USPS has it, and no one else has come up to duplicate it yet. Once they do, life will be different, for sure.

Fedex has an infrastructure that's optimized to get packages anywhere throughout the world. So does UPS, and DHL, and... the list goes on. But they're not optimized to deliver small items for low costs... yet.

On the issue of service... that's something else entirely. I don't put up with bad service. Frustrates my wife more often than not, because I'm somewhat demanding that way. I'm the customer, and my money pays your salary, whether you're a clerk, a cashier, a technician, a doctor, or a lawyer. Treat me respectfully, and I'll do the same. Treat me like a cash cow, and watch me leave.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.