View Single Post
Old 10-28-2002, 02:37 PM   #29
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

LOL, no sooner said than done.

Karolyi bowed and answered, “Yes, Lady Viconia, it will only take a few minutes to heat up. Will you eat in the dining room, or perhaps be served in his lordship’s study on trays?”
Indicating that the man should do the latter, they trooped into Attalus’ study, a room that Veldren loved dearly. The walls were hung with curiosities that his father had picked up over the years. He knew their histories by heart. There, over the fireplace hung the hammer that had belonged to Bassileus, the mad cleric, crossed with the sword of the bounty hunter Greywolf. A suit of Antheg armor stood in the corner, holding a gaudy crossbow.
And, on a hatrack in the other corner, a collection of helmets won or found over the years. There were pictures on the walls, and books on the shelves, but the weapons were always the things that had always fascinated him. Perhaps one day, some of his trophies would hang in here, he thought wistfully, wishing that he had stopped to loot the scimitar of the drow fighter that he had killed. But his mother was talking, and his interest was piqued by the fact that she was holding the snake-headed whip that the priestess had held.
“So,” Viconia was saying, “Imoen, the handle has a hidden compartment, as I have often seen. But, I have often seen poisoned needles placed in the cavity, to deal with snoopers. Would you be so kind as to look at it for me?”
“Sure, sister-in-law,” Imoen replied with an impish grin, “sit it down right there, and I’ll tell you all I know. Which isn’t much.” Viconia made a face at her and sat the thing down. Imoen then proceeded to look at it from every conceivable angle, then made a little cry. She took a little knife from her belt pouch and worked in the cavity for a minute, then a little “snick” was heard, and she triumphantly tipped the handle up. A wicked-looking barbed needle fell out, with a brown, resinous substance hardened on the tip. She then turned back to her drow friend. “Lucky you were cautious, Vickey,” she stated grimly. “This looks like some of that spider venom that has no antidote. If you had just stuck your and in there, we might have lost you."
Attalus is offline   Reply With Quote