View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 06:27 PM   #20
Lucern
Quintesson

Good info so far on the things he's mentioned (although I think chemical engineering PhDs beat us all money-wise, at 6 figures entry level )

And in psychology you'll come up to the pros and cons of psychiatry and psychology repeatedly. Psychologists can make great money and are in a wide array of positions, from tenured professors to non-profit agencies and private practices. They don't have to go to medical school either! That's a huge plus, but you'll never be able to prescribe drugs as part of treatment.

Quote:
I think I've got it figured out by now...
As far as careers and college go, do yourself a favor and keep an open mind. Nothing against computer science of course, but when I went in I had so little clue about careers that I thought I wanted to be a doctor. A lucrative way to help people right? Right...that changed to cognitive science, evolutionary biology, then cultural anthropology. If you're going to a 4 year liberal arts school (one that requires taking classes from a variety of disciplines from math and science to literature and foreign languages) your ideas about the world and what exactly you want to do in it will likely change. This is a good thing. Just keep an open mind. I didn't even really know what anthropology was until I took a class to fill a social science requirement, and now I'm anxiously waiting to hear from grad schools to see if I can continue studying it. Even graduating from a 4 year college will put you ahead of most Americans, so find something you like and do it well. [img]smile.gif[/img]