View Single Post
Old 08-02-2002, 06:57 AM   #6
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by DraconisRex:
quote:
Originally posted by Tobbin:
The numbers look pretty good, but my 9th level Ranger has 29 AC, just like the Paladin. Plus, I have improved dual with ambidexterity which lessens the penalties significantly. With a shield, I have 34 AC, so I can give you that. My main problem is that high level enemies are more than likely going to hit my character anyways (whether I have 29 or 34 AC), so I prefer to "get in" more damage to take him out. I can always use potions to beef me up or use boots of striding to raise hp's (I am using boots of speed to help with AC though). Just depends on how you play. I don't know that many characters that will go toe to toe with a dragon (without some heavy beefing). I normally opt for the hit and run mode. I hit them until I get near enough to death it's worrisome, then run to go heal up. Then come back in and finish the job. Ranged attacks can help out here too (depending on how good you are with your weapons.) A straight out fighter is the best to go toe to toe with an enemy though (unless you have to fight through magic to get to them.)
Yeah, but you're missing the point. Were not comparing YOUR ranger to this paladin. We are comparing two approaches to combat by focusing on class paradigms. The "traditional" ranger and the "traditional" paladin.

Your ranger is level 9 and has a 29 AC. YOur ranger had to put all his feats into this duplicate dual-weilding. Put the boots of speed on the Paladin and what's the AC? 34? It's just a parallel shift.

Then give the Paladin Knockdown so he knocks your ranger down. Make him smarter and he gets Disarm so you won't be "dual weilding," you'll be dieing. Lot's of ways to "rig" it so one class "wins," which isn't my point.

I'm not interested in a my brother can beat up your sister type of arguement. Nor am I interested in makeing the comparisons skewed by adding "extra" magic power to make-up for something.

As it was, I gave the ranger the equiv. of the best "light" armor that can be purchased in Chapter 2. I did not do the same for the paladin.

What I am going to do is create two level 10 characters. One focusing on the dual-weild paradigm and one on the sword & shield paradigm. Both fighters. Both will get 250,000 gp. I'll lay them out.
[/QUOTE]But see, that's what I was saying too. It doesn't really matter in the long run, because most characters will know their own weaknesses and will compensate in some fashion. As for the dueling abilities, I didn't have to select anything, it was a class skill. What I've been pumping my skills into were mainly thieving abilities or magic abilities. So in essence, that kinda makes my character ineligible in the first place for this discussion. I use Shadow Legion Armor, plus the boots, and now have an AC of 37. So it's all relative. I could have taken a class of fighter just as easily to start getting some of their benefits. As it was, I chose Sorceror. I now have a FAMILIAR (albeit low level), ANIMAL COMPANION (chose the bear), have the ability to either cast SUMMON MONSTER (Level 1), or pull from one of the scrolls that I have (Level 6 SUMMON MONSTER, PHANTASMAL KILLER, SUMMON ELEMENTAL (Greater)), or I can use Polymorph Self. The Summoning spells, plus Familiar & Animal Companion give me 3 other characters to go into battle with whereas the Polymorph spell will allow me to regain hitpoints and gain other attacks. I was just saying that my character tends to hit more often now than before.

EDIT: Oh yeah, just to add in something else too, I don't use potions. Hardly ever really use the scrolls. I do summon the bear more often now, but for the most part, I just go in wading deep. I hardly ever use arrows (or ranged attacks), don't use beefing up spells (like barkskin, bless, aid, whatever). Every once in awhile I will use stealth (I don't have light but can cast it from scrolls so this does not defeat that ability). I get in several sneak attacks because of my Rogue abilities (also did not select this, was given this as a class feat). My character does on the average of 15 - 37 hp of damage per hit (I get more than 1 attack now, so it's not uncommon for a flurry of attacks to pop up with at least 40-50 hps damage per round). I could get away with more if I used scrolls/wands/rods, etc. But I feel confident with where he is now.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot one other thing too. I also have a really cool scroll that a straight Ranger/Thief couldn't use without heavy skill point allocation. Since I got 1 level of Sorceror (enabling me to use ALL scrolls - Magic User anyways), I can cast Tenser's Transformation. This 1 spell makes a BIG difference. It effectively DOUBLES my damage (killer sword), makes me tougher (adds at least 70 hps to my character) and makes me faster (getting more attacks). I can see why Sorceror's like it so much. [img]redface.gif[/img] )

TRIPLE EDIT: Sorry about me going off on a tangent there. This detracted from what my point really was. And that is, most characters aren't going to just stay fighting at a dragon without either withdrawing to heal up, or having some form of protection that enables them to be safeguarded against the dragon. I personally prefer dualing, because what I hit dies faster (pretty important against really dangerous foes), whereas using a shield will allow the enemy more attacks against me. Most higher level enemy seem to hit you REGARDLESS of what armor you wear. It's better to go into the fight with that in mind. You tend to last longer (expect some damage and go from there).

[ 08-02-2002, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Tobbin ]