View Single Post
Old 11-12-2002, 01:50 PM   #120
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

LOL, neither do I:

"Try to manage long enough," Galadria interrupted him, " to tell me what you thought you were going to accomplish with poor Sefa. I find it difficult to understand why you would sacrifice your own flesh and blood, in your phrase."
Snurll wet his lips. "I suppose that my dear daughter told you of that. And why not?" Here he directed a sorrowful look at Sefa, who returned it with an unchanging, stony stare. He went back to Galadria. "My Marissa, my only love. I came across a god that told me that if I sacrificed her on a certain night, and then cut her body in two, in the way that he said, he could return her to me."
Several in the room made noises of surprise and disgust at this. He swung his head around, facing them each in turn, eyes blazing. "Would you not have done the same? If you could have your love back?"
Attalus took it upon himself to answer, putting a hand on Galadria's shoulder.. "No, evil thief, I would not," he said slowly. "I have no child to think on, but not even to get my treasure back would I do such a hideous thing. For one thing, she would hate me for it, though not as much as I would hate myself. Was your lover, then, of such a mind as you that nothing is to be hesitated at, as long as you were happy? A pretty pair you would have made. But I doubt this, for Sefa, her child, is a sweet and loving girl. No, look not to me."
"Lost to me my love is," Noemi added from behind, with a strange impression on her face, "though not dead. But I would not harm my child to get my love back, no, not even from the Abyss. As Attalus says, not love but hate would be the result."
"Nor I, cur," Odo spoke with revulsion in his voice. "Were I to lose my Cythera, my heart would be broken, sure, but to behave as you have would betray our love to the point where it could no longer exist, even were she restored to me. Who is this foul thing that calls itself a god? How did you contact it?"
Snull pointed with his chin at a stautue in a nook on the wall to his left. "Eleazar, he called himself. I found that staue in a ruin in a Calimshite jungle, where black men had prayed to it. I worshipped it and, after a while, he came to me in dreams to tell me what I must do."
Odo went over to the nook and examined the statue without touching it. Finally, he laughed a humorless laugh and turned to the bound thief. "Little good would you have of your sacrifice, Snurll," he commented. "That is a statue of what the Calimshite natives call Ygg, which is another name for our old acquaintance, Bane, the god of murder. If I know anything of it, he would have appeared after you had murdered and mutilated your only daughter and mocked you for a fool. He loves to trick people into foul deeds for little or no gain at all, and he is a great liar." Snurll slumped in his ropes.

[ 11-12-2002, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Galadria ]
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote