View Single Post
Old 07-28-2003, 06:20 PM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yes, I have downloaded mods with multiple hakpaks/files but the total file size has almost always been less than 16 megs zipped.

The number of hakpaks is less important than their size. Some people STILL use dialup so large files can be a total pain or even impossible to download unless your ISP is VERY stable. Even with a stable ISP, the download time can be excruciatingly long. The free IWD expansion - Trials of the Luremaster - was around 75 megs and if I remember correctly, that was a 12 to 24 hour download even in its zipped format!!! 16 to 20 megs is about the limit of what I will download via dial-up at home. Anything larger and I'll download at work, burn a cd and transport home. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you are going to put your hakpaks and mod on your own website, I would zip each hakpak individually and provide seperate downloads for the dial-up users. FOr the faster connections you can always provide ONE large zip file containing all of the hakpaks.

BTW, hakpaks using custom portraits will get VERY large very quickly if you use a LOT of them. Remember that each set of .tga files takes up about 500kb, so the size of a portrait hakpak can mushroom if you throw in TOO many. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote