View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 05:35 AM   #8
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: DAO NPC alignments and thoughts in general--PLOT SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcalian View Post
Having taken Loghain along and basically exhausted his dialogues and used him in the DLC areas, I can take a shot at this.

He honestly didn't beleive it was a Blight.....until it was too late. He also honestly beleived that Orlais would conquer Ferelden as soon as it was over if he didn't keep his guard up. Everything he is and does is blinded by his view of Orlais. Other Ferelden NPCs have this--ask Arl Eamon about it, particularly, and some of the Human Noble's mother's dialogue in the Origin glances off it--Loghain just takes it all the way out.

His reasons for fleeing at Ostagar are essentially that he felt it was a lost cause, and that if he'd charged he'd be dead right alongside Cailan.

All of that having been said, he's a very ends-justify-the-means kind of guy. He's never really sorry for what he did morally speaking....but he admits he made a "tactical error" beause it really was a Blight. And will (almost gladly) sacrifice himself to take out the Archdemon if you don't do Morrigan's deal. Everything is focused around (his view of) what is best for Ferelden. I'd call him Lawful Evil, really.

And no, this is not an attempt to justify him or apologize for him. So please let's not have that argument. Saw that enough times on the official DAO forums to know I don't want to participate myself.
These are just my impressions. Some NPC's I barely used (SOMEONE has to cook and keep the camp tidy!), so didn't see the whole of their personality. However, being retired military, what Loghain did was outright Treason. So I killed him (actually Alistair did the actual deed).

Arguments are fine. Flames are not. I don't know what the DAO boards are like, but IW has low tolerance of Flaming. Flame and you are warned...Once. Flame again, it's 30 days in the hole.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote