View Single Post
Old 04-19-2002, 06:33 PM   #25
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Oh do give over on the 'America standing up for the right' crap. America gets involved when those who are currently in office decides that it's in her interest to do so. Not unless. Get off of that moral high ground. It don't belong to you. Not nowise, not nohow. Does the word Rwanda ring any bells?
What post were you reading? Don't try to put words into my mouth... it may be big enough but I've got exclusive use of it for the time being. Where in the aforementioned post did I even come close to a word that looked like "morality"? Morality has no place in world politics, EVERY country acts in its own self interest - to do otherwise would lead to a brief existance.

I stated simple facts... the US DOES have the role of world cop, not out of a sense of morality but because it's in our best interest to have stable trading partners. But that doesn't change the fact that we do it, and that nobody else wants to do it (although a number of countries do contribute, we've got the bulls-eye painted on our forehead). It also doesn't change the fact that cops aren't popular guys... everything they do gets second guessed, and people have a natural tendency to resist anyone who they feel is in a position of "authority".

Yes you're ABSOLUTELY right... we didn't intervene in Rwanda when horrible things were happening there. It's a good thing that all those other countries who slam us not being there stepped up to the plate and saved all those Rwandan lives THEMSELVES... right?

[ 04-19-2002, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Thoran ]