View Single Post
Old 05-03-2001, 05:07 PM   #21
Epona
Zartan

Ah, That's Danone!
(That's the advertising jingle they use here.)

Just to update you, after 7 hours the police let most people go from Oxford Circus in ones and twos but took a photo of every person who left and their name and address) which they are not supposed to do unless a crime is suspected - and last time I looked demonstrating was not a crime here.

A handful of people went on the rampage afterwards and smashed a few windows, nothing major but it was that one event of the whole day which gets plastered all over the papers - the media just love it and they try to use it to discredit everyone who ever protests. The way I view it only a very small amount of people were involved in doing damage, the main events up and down the country were peaceful and relayed a good message which got a lot of media coverage as well as being seen by a lot of people.

Some might ask "what is the point, it hasn't changed anything" but the way I see it if a few more people are a little more aware about the world they live in as a result, or if one or two people question what they previously thought, then that is a positive thing worth doing.

Oh and incidentally, my bf was interviewed by The Times (major broadsheet paper here in Britain) about why he was demonstrating etc. etc. At the end they asked him what his job was - he told them civil servant (which is true) and they said "you liar, you're not a civil servant - you have long hair" and walked away. Not sure what that says about the media.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas and The Ladies Guild.