View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 01:51 AM   #45
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:

I'm a little confused by it all though really. If the woman is working as a prostitute, why would she still be receiving unemployment benefits? Unless the government is her pimp... [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img] But really, unless she is working as a prostitute for the government and it is a 'work for the dole' type scheme, isn't the law sort of just a 'get a job after 12 months or no more benefits'? Why is prostitution singled out as her only option? Weird.
I think I may be misinterpreting your questions here, but just in case I'm not, I'll give my take on things.

By the sounds of things a woman employed as a professional prostitute will not receive unemployment benefits. If I'm getting things right here, once a person has been on the unemployment benefit for a year or more they become legally obligated to accept any legal employment offered to them. Everyone goes on the unemployment list, which is available for employers to peruse, and if a brothel owner likes what he sees and offers a job to a woman who has been on the list for over a year, then she has to take it. Likewise, if a cafe owner offers a woman a job as a waitress she has to take it. Their benefit stops as soon as their employment starts, wherever they happen to be working.

Now, have I just been telling you stuff you already know? If so, then I'm sorry, I didn't mean to patronise...

The 'forced prostition' scenario would probably be quite rare in all actuality. But it makes for good copy in the headlines for it's 'moral shock value'. Journalists have to make a buck, same as everyone else. Writing shock headlines saying that the government is forcing women into prostitution sells newspapers, plain n' simple.

I wouldn't mind being a prostitute, so long as my clientelle were all female. If they were gross and old I'd just shut my eyes and think of Angelina Jolie