View Single Post
Old 01-09-2002, 07:44 PM   #2
Erydian
Manshoon

That sounds like my first party! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Take an hour or so and do some forum searches, particularly on how skills work, and how magic works in this game. I've been fully impressed on how much information has been available here on this board. I think that once you understand how things work, you'll be able to figure out how to improve your party - I know that it helped me out alot my first time around (and this is the first Wizardry I've ever played).

Some general tips however:

The key to development in this game is practice. Using your skills repetitively (if you're a caster, make sure every round of combat you are always casting, use buff/protection spells to practice outside of combat, or divine trap and knock knock on locked doors and trapped chests) increases your ability in those skills. Each skill has two controlling attributes, that affect how quickly you learn that skill. Higher scores in those controlling attributes can speed up your development in key skills for each of your characters.

Specialize when you distribute level - up points. Pick two statistics that you think would be most valuable to the character in question, and every level up, put those points in those two stats (until you cap them at 100). For casters, consider putting points into main spellbook realms (Wizardry, Divinity, Psionics, Alchemy) before distributing them to the minor realms (Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Divine, Mental), as your points here will contribute more to your ability to gain new spells (and the major realm skills raise slower). Sure, putting points into the minor realms helps your caster, but I would never put points into a minor realm without first putting points into the major realm for my class. For fighters and other non-casters, always put points into whatever weapon(s) you are using first, followed by dual weapons (if you use two weapons), and then close combat or ranged combat - depending on which you use. In most cases your skill with your weapon of choice (or your primary weapon if you dual wield) influences your accuracy far more than close combat or ranged combat will.

These are just some of the things that I have found useful. For more detailed answers, however, you will definitely want to check around the forum.

Good luck. [img]smile.gif[/img]