Thread: Sorc. or mage?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2002, 09:04 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I might be the wrong one to get advice from, because I am usually a more melee fighter than anything else. I am not a magic-using sort....and the magic that I do use are stong attacks that do big damage to one individual. I do not like spells like Power word: Kill, because if the monster you are aiming at is high level...you ain't gonna do anything to him. But if you have something like acid arrow, then that spell slaps across one monster and continues to hurt him afterward. I do not like area effect spells because that means my party has to get outta the way when they hear the old guy start chanting. I do not like to scatter my party and wait for an area effect spell to take effect. It never works with my playing style. YOU may be able to do it better, where I fail. You may know how to handle area effect spells...and I do not. It is just the way we play.
Now, summoning monsters is good, especially at high level...because then you create more targets for your enemies to work on, and less of them to hurt your true party. BUT... make sure that when you do call forth monsters that your enemies do not have the ability to turn them back on you! You would then be creating more of a nuisance for yourself.

Again, I cannot readily tell you which spells are the best, because it depends on your personal situation as to what works in your group. You mention wanting to know what high level spells are most efficient...they are all efficient to the right person. I would not be efficient with area effect spells but maybe you are. Yet, if you will tell me which level you are specifically nearing...such as...are you ready to level up to seventh level spells...then let me know, and I will better be able to look at just that list and pick out the ones that I would use personally,,,and I will tell you the reason for each.