Thread: mind flayers
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2001, 02:46 PM   #6
Magness
Quintesson

Been a while since I've had to repost my mindflayer slaying tactics... Here goes....

1. Cast the priest spell Chaotic Commands on your 1 or 2 best fighters. (One casting of CC can get a fighter thru an entire Mindflayer dungeon.)

Have those 1 or 2 fighters drink a potion of Genius or Mind Focusing. This increases your INT and is a cheap armor against mindflayer INT drains. And keep those potions in your quick slots. During the melee, you might need to drink more. You'll more likely die from going negative INT rather than negative HP.

The Shield of Harmony or 2H sword Lilarcor are very useful, as well.

2. If your mage is high enough level, cast a Mordenkain's Sword. It's PERFECT for midflayers. It cannot be affected by psionics. Otherwise/additionally, cast "animate dead" to get some skeletal support. They also cannot be affected by psionics, but the umber Hulks will make short work of them.

3. REGARDLESS ... send the Morden's Sword or the skeletons thru the door first. All mindflayers will focus their initial psi attacks on them and gnore your fighters. After the first wave of psi attacks, send in your fighters and focus your attacks on the mindflayers (i.e. ignore the umber hulks).

You can sneak your other party members up a bit to provide long range support. A Chaos spell can sometimes be useful.

If one of your melee fighters begins taking INT drain damage, suck down another potion to increase their INT. Otherwise, pull that INT drained fighter back to let the INT drain wear off. Let the other fighter take the brunt of the fighting.

During the melee, kill each mindflayer as quickly as possible.

Mindflayers, while very dangerous, are completely manageable when you use the proper tactics.