Old 06-17-2002, 09:28 PM   #42
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by norompanlasolas:
just to point out something. there is NO WAY that the american and other govs (through nasa) have spent billions of dollars in SETI programs. as a matter of fact, it has had problems raising money to function properly (and it isnt so much in scale). potentially, what could be the biggest discovery in the history of the human race deserves much more than its being given, as the hole space program, that is severely underfunded (compare what nasa gets to what other govt institutions get and its sort of a joke).

We are in agreement possibly for the first time. [img]smile.gif[/img] The space program has been one of the more rewarding government endeavors. I think the tech funding for NASA is way too low. I suppose if man actually ever manages to transplant a population off the earth that would cause some problems for those who follow the Apocrypha and the book of revelations.
[/QUOTE]I criticised SETI funding amounts, not NASA MagiK.
[/QUOTE]Yorick [img]smile.gif[/img] I noticed that, and when I tried to correct my post to take that into account, I lost my net connection ...sorry

As far as I can tell though right now SETI is mostly funded via methods that are private or coming from educational institutes who are using it as a science platform and teaching tool. Just as with NASA there are spin off technologies in math and physics and language and communication theory coming out of the SETI program....but ont he other hand I do nothing for or with SETI, Im speaking just from a genearl awareness of the program. I Will have to look into it further. All in all any expenditure to broaden our scientific goals other than on war technologies is a good thing. The one thing War has always been good for is technological advancement.....and killing people