View Single Post
Old 03-28-2003, 02:45 PM   #90
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

I am certainly no lawyer. I have only a basic grasp of common law, let alone what it has become through the efforts of people like Calabresi.

I do realize that we may be talking another law to stricly enforce property rights, but I am pretty sure that is more or less the 7th Amendment in the first place. I agree that it is highly unlikely that anyone in government would willingly reduce their own powers, the main reason to be a politician being the power to boss others about. But in exchange for this one law, that could probably be written nearly as tersely as the 7th Amendment, we could abolish a gazillion others, and close down hundreds or thousands of governmental agencies who currently usurp the 7th Amendment through the use of Administrative Reviews and such, since you would really only need to provide accessible courts and some means of enforcing the decisions of those courts. (There are free-market solutions, like binding arbitration, that seem to work well in a limited sense, and I suspect that "the market" would come up with a better solution than we now have, but my prejudices just do not let me make that leap quite yet.)

[EDIT]
Aargh. I had the wrong Amendment..
[/EDIT]

[ 03-28-2003, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Thorfinn ]