View Single Post
Old 06-01-2002, 05:30 AM   #37
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

What a moronic statement, whoever made it (although I think he was being deliberately provocative).

I think Donut hit the nail on the head - I would suspect that the reason that he (not Americans in general) don't care about the World Cup is because the US is not a world power in soccer, the way they are in basketball, hockey, American football (seeing as Americans are really the only one that play this) and baseball (ditto).

I'm surprised he was allowed to say this in public - ESPN are supposed to be an international network, and they have devoted a lot of time and space to the World Cup on espn.com. This shows an appalling lack of consideration for international viewers - as Saz says it's the stereotypical "self-centred American" that many Americans are unfairly portrayed as overseas by a moronic minority such as that moron.

I would have said whoever said that was on drugs, except that I don't think he was. Two reasons:

ONE - he doesn't need drugs to be this stupid; and

TWO - he must be so moronic that he wouldn't be able to open the package and get them out.