View Single Post
Old 05-23-2001, 09:22 PM   #13
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
As people who have talked to me much on the board know, this is a pretty sensitive topic for me. In my work, I travel abroad and am very cognizant of the impression I make on other people. I believe strongly that everyone should be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their national or cultural heritage. Unfortunately, in observing other Americans abroad, I can see why we are somtimes labelled "ugly Americans." I am very gratified, Yorrick, that you had the good fortune to encounter these particular Americans and that is has been a positive experience for you.

I feel the same as you Reeka. There are times I want to hide my identity, as at times I feel ashamed to be an American, as many other people (Americans) give us a bad name (politics, racism, violence, greed, etc.). I KNOW that there is an unseen population of us, the "good guys" so to speak, but things that are aired on TV throughout the world gives the U.S. a bad impression sometimes. Tis a shame, so many millions of us live in the U.S., yet only a tiny percentage actually have power to control and make a difference.

------------------