View Single Post
Old 08-21-2003, 12:21 AM   #15
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabrielles blades:
female portraits are typicaly far cooler looking
Too true. Now that I think about it, it's one of the main reason I play female a lot more than male. The female portraits are almost always cooler. Just take a look at arcanum, there is only one decent male portrait in it.

It's especially true for portraits avaible on the net. Most male portraits are either "Conan like" almost naked warriors, or ugly "Elmisnter like" extremly old mage with a beard longer than he is tall. Female portraits are usually cooler and more varied.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Well, Luvian, some people like to put 'themselves' into the new or different circumstances. I've never been a bhaalspawn, bard or sorcerer but I play a character similar to myself in my BG2 game- ie: she makes the decisions I'd probably make under those circumstances.

But then I also have played pc's differently from the way I'd answer/choose as well. I think everyone has their own style and reasons for doing things the way they do! In my case, my first pc's were alot like me because I was new to the idea of rp'ing, but I got used to it and am expanding to various classes and personalities for my pc's now.
Most people that play as themselves take what happen to their character personally, so can't really play "fair". They usually want to take the most personally gratificating solution possible, and are prone to use metagame thinking, they just can't tell the difference between what they know (the player) and what they know (the character). It's possible to act as ourselves and still be a good and fair player, but most of the time, that kind of players are immature. That's what I've learned from personal experience, and so far, this stereotype has held true.

Here's a post I made about it in another sex change thread:

"I had a cousin that always thought the character he was playing was him. That was so damn anoying in Pen and Paper. Something bad would happen to his character, and he'd take it personal.

People who think of the character as an extension of themselves are not roleplayer at all...

It can be creepy, too. There's that guy I "know" who is a big Vampire: The Masquerade fan, and I'm sure he think he is really his character, you should see the way he act in real life, and he is always mumbling too, which make him look even more psycho. I was suposed to join his group once, but when I found out how he acted in real life, I changed my mind. I realy don't want to see how they play.

To get back on topic, in CRPG, 90% of the time I play as a female.
"