View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Default Re: My NobleNick party!

In Severed Hand now.

Marty and Dundee got dualled in the Vale of Shadows and regained their fighter class not much later, before the others even got to the dualling stage. Azred got dualled at the beginning of Dragon's Eye, and Aerich dualled in level 3 of Dragon's Eye. Azred has since got his fighter class (end of Dragon's Eye). Aerich is still waiting to regain them. ZFR is yet to dual (level 8 now).

Overall I think the choice of when to dual was good. If I were to change one thing, I'd maybe change Azred to dual at level 3. You don't need the extra proficiency since he'll be using ranged weapons only (crossbow), and I think I'd have managed to babysit three level 1 characters at the Vale of Shadows. That said, this isn't bad either; he'll get extra hitpoints if anything. Another alternative might have been to give him 4 proficiency points in axes, and let the returning axe be his ranged weapon, but I didn't think of it at the time. Anyway he ended up 3 prof in crossbow and 3 prof in hammer should he need to use mellee.

Overall the 5 fighter+bard has been good so far. I never felt the loss of other class abilities before dualling. The thief got dualled before I needed his abilities (the few chests in Easthaven can all be opened with 18/00 strength; perhaps even lower), and as soon as he became thief I put his ability points in pick locks/find traps. He was good since; there wasn't a time when a lock or trap was too powerful for him.
Same for healing. You can easily to without (rely on the potion or temple if you have to) till the vale of Shadows, at which point the druid dualled and I got my healing spells.
So this is really a viable party. The only disadvantage I have is the fact that all are humans. So I missed the extra dialogues for dwarves in Easthaven and the dwarf/halfling only helm. I also realized I'm having 6 males, so will miss on the lower prices with Nym. Plus as mentioned, fighters were more difficult to roll.

And I'm really enjoying it. I love this game, and never realized how I missed it. I read through all dialogue paths for nostalgia's sake. Fun.
My first run of IWD+HoW+TotL on Normal (before, by the time I got TotL, I was playing on Hard for the extra XP) and it's really enjoyable. Not too easy, and not too difficult to be frustrating. I'm used to more XP, but then again the enemies are easier on normal.

Will update more from time to time.