View Single Post
Old 06-27-2006, 08:39 PM   #7
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
I'd love to see a list of how many hundreds of thousands of dollars have been/will be wasted on amending America's most sacred document to stop people from burning the flag.
I don't know how far it'd get (notice it's only an issue in a campaign year ), but if it gets anywhere, you're definitely talking about millions of dollars. The mechanism through which a Constitutional amendment has to go through to get passed is very long and arduous (as it definitely should be.) It's still easier than Canada's (where we've basically made Constitutional amendment impossible), but it's not at all a quick process.

I should add: I believe in only creating laws when a law prevents a victim's rights from being violated. Asides from some people's feelings being hurt, I don't see how burning a flag really harms anybody, other than making people look like jerks. There is a correct way to address these people: mock them and ignore their points of view. Exercise your right to free speech too.

A question though: what is the proper way to dispose of a tattered/wrecked flag? I personally would think that setting it aflame is more dignified then throwing it out under my empty milk cartons...
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote