View Single Post
Old 09-28-2001, 02:39 PM   #40
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanamur:

So, here's an exemple: "7,000 innocent Americans died because of terrorist attack. Those attack against the US were totally unwaranted and America will stand strong." (left because of innocent, totally unwaranted)

"7,000 American died in terrorist attack" (neutral... centered, just the fact)

America to use military power to kill Bin Ladden in responce of terrorist attack that killed 7,000 in NYC. (right because it supports military action and to kill Bin Ladden)

Of course, those exemples are fictitious but they do point out the difference between the Left and Right

Just noticed these examples of left wing, right wing and facts unsullied by bias reporting.

Ok, Ryanmur, now I know why you think the US press is left wing.

In my opinion, the first example is no way left wing!! It's the phrase 'Totally unwarranted', really, also the 'America will stand strong' is pretty suspect. Left wing thought does not support the totally unwarranted stance. (By saying that, I am not saying that left wing thought is jumping up and down saying it's all America's own fault, either, (well, actually some of it is... but let's not get back onto that one.... )

There are a number of questions regarding the causes of terrorism, and America's part in those causes. (I'm talking in terms of factors, not America being wholly responsible - sorry, I'm ducking in advance having been pot shot at so many times that I'm getting a little leery here....) E.g. America's support for corrupt dictatorships in the Middle East, support for Israel's 34 year illegal occupation of the West Bank and Gaza (without American funding, arms and general support they wouldn't have got nearly as far as they have... ) and so on and so forth. Of course there are many other factors (this is not an anti America comment, I just want to get some perspective in here....)

Left wing tends to look at cause and effect. Right wing tends to go rah rah rah, we're right, you're wrong.

I don't think your right wing example is particularly representative of a right wing bias in thinking, either. It's pretty much a statement of intent, without any emotive adjectives. It doesn't support anything, just makes a statement about what America plans to do. I find the first statement far more right wing, the one that you are positioning as left wing. That's the one with the emotive words and statements in it, and that is the one that betrays a strong bias by the writer/organ of publication.

------------------

Ascended Mistress of Illumination OR Paws R Us