View Single Post
Old 07-20-2001, 02:58 PM   #9
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I am going to use quotes from a news source to back up my arguments about the use of stem cells for research.

Quote:
Frist argued, as many pro-research lawmakers have, that the government should fund research that uses embryos left over from in vitro fertilization treatments, thousands of which are routinely discarded by fertility clinics.
It is a very long stretch to call these embryos a 'life'. If this were the case then why do we not see anti-abortion protesters outside fertility clinics? These embryos are being discarded, so why should they not be put to use as a potentially life saving cure for millions of people?

Quote:
The Tennessee Republican became the latest entry on a growing list of Republicans who oppose abortion, but support funding for embryonic stem-cell research. That list includes Sens. Hatch, John McCain of Arizona, Gordon Smith of Oregon, Strom Thurmond of South Carolina, former Sen. Connie Mack of Florida, Rep. Randy Cunningham of California and Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson
Again it is hard to stretch this into a moral issue of a human life. Like the above statement says, these Republicans are all anti-abortion, but still see the significance of this research.

Quote:
Scientists say the biomedical research could lead to cures for a host of diseases, including diabetes, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, as well as new, more effective treatments for debilitating brain and spinal cord injuries.
Why is there the willingness to defend an embryo (something that could perhaps with a lot of imagination, be defined as a 'life') at the cost of a true human life.

Without medical research how many of us would be alive? Penicillen, organ transplants, prescription drugs, etc...are the results of research. Sometimes this research is contradictory to one's beliefs, but would you still have the same objections if it was your life being saved by this stem cell research?

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time