View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 06:21 PM   #103
Draten-Master of Fire and Ice
Dungeon Master

Arrow

Well, what an interesting thread! The variety of answers given is outstanding and all of the opinions are valid and important. Maybe that is why the United States of America is a cool place to live: because here in this country you can say any of the things posted on this board and not be thrown in jail (or worse). One post spoke of a "definition" for "freedom". I would like to take a stab at it if I might: freedom as I choose to define it (as it applies in America) does not mean that one may do always precisely what one wishes. If that were the case, as most of you probably realize, the net result would be chaos. In order to have any kind of functional society, you have to have rules. The rules originally created by the founding fathers of this Country (ie-the Constitution of the United States of America and The Bill of Rights with all later amendments) were and are the heart of what it means to be an American. Anyone who wishes to see what it means to be an American should feel free to peruse these documents. Does this mean that all Americans behave in a completely predictable manner and completely resemble the ideals of the Constitution, no! Every society is comprised of people and all people are imperfect!!! That is why we have Police Officers and a Judicial System in this Country. I will not attempt to hide the fact that anyone who chooses to stereotype Police Officers as bullies, etc. annoys me in the extreme. You cannot possibly attempt to understand cops unless you are one. Certain Law Enforcement Officers at certain times have made mistakes and these usually receive a lot of bad publicity. These incidents are, however, the exception rather than the rule. Most people, most of the time, are treated with respect in the Law Enforcement profession. I have been in Law Enforcement for about three years, and I have seen a thing or two. My opinions are based on real-life experience. One more soap-box: instead of complaining about your country, whatever country that may be, try to think of ways to improve things; but above all: SUPPORT YOUR COUNTRY AND ITS LEADERS. The aforementioned is very important because words are more powerful than most people suspect...SELAH.