View Single Post
Old 11-13-2002, 01:39 PM   #145
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Att, well, my students would be just fine if they had BOOKS. [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] It's now the 5th day of class, and my Microsoft Excel students still are without books. You know what it's like to teach Excel without a book? I'm having to use the Proxima (overhead projector) and let them follow me through the exercises. GRRRR! Right now they're doing their lab work, which required me to photocopy page after page of problems from the one book I have. Oh...and of course, if they have a problem, they can't look in their [nonexistant] book to see how the problem is worked, so hey nonny nonny, here Sazerac goes a-trotting to help them find where the "Save As..." command or the "Zoom" button is located on the screen.

Oh, yeah...I'm just a TEENSY bit frustrated and angry. This isn't just a one-time occurrence, either. It's happening more and more often. Computers that won't let students log in, student accounts that mysteriously get locked as "read-only" so they can't save their work, textbooks that don't arrive on time (we only have a 6-week session, so basically, 5 days without textbooks is 1/6 of the entire course). It's not just my class, either...all of us are suffering.

Retention at the school is down to 60%. They (the administration) actually have the gall to wonder WHY. I say, get working computers, a network administrator who doesn't have his head center so firmly implanted in his BUTT center, and get textbooks on time, and see if retention improves. Wow! Concept.

Needless to say, I'm in search of another job...one in an environment not quite so filled with incompetents.

Cheers,
-Sazerac
Whoo, I sure do sympathize! I work at a University and books are always late or not availiable!

I know what it's like to learn most of my software without benefit of class or book, so I know it can be frustrating. Excel is a royal pain too! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

BTW, next post is a new Cafe....wonder what number it will be.....*hums nonchalantly*