Thread: Strategy Guide
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2000, 01:13 PM   #6
Laurence
Welcomed New User

Although a massive fan of Bradley and all older Wizardries, I have to agree that there is a lot in WW that really needed more explanation.
There is not enough info in the manual to enable sensible race / class decision eg I only switched my warriors to Barbarians because all advice said so, hopefully I'm going to get better hit points, but the manual doesn't say so.
And with Attributes, Skills and Traits to juggle with it does NOT help that the manual keeps referring to the term ABILITY. Who wouldn't be confused??
When levelling up, there is a flash of text as the cursor hovers over the skills, but it doesn't stay on screen. Shame - more pop-up help (that works!!) needed.

In the days of Bane of the Cosmic Forge, you were supposed to work these things out by re-playing the games 6 times - in those days, there were no handy web sites to go to for guidance - indeed, no forums or internet.
Good sites will undoubtedly develop to give us this info, but I think that is a large assumption to make.

I also really liked the way skills improved just with practice in Wiz 7 - a shame that's gone.
Monster AI in this game is also not a patch on MM6, MM7 or even up to the high (?) standards of Daggerfall - they will walk off a cliff walking trying to come towards you, and if only ranged weapons were more effective much fun could be had this way!
Doesn't model party disposition very well either - at least in the classic Wizardries you knew your first 3 would be attacked most - here, it seems only the leader is bearing the brunt of attacks. There is something altogether odd about a first person view when you're handling a party of 6 - no idea where the others are in relation to the enemy, and this misses out on some of the strategic fun had in, say, Pools of Radiance.
Wonderful game anyway - I just hope Bradley keeps going, listens to comments, and has the opportunity to do something even better yet.