View Single Post
Old 03-28-2001, 06:41 PM   #50
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by bilqis:
Oh yes. I intend to be here for awhile. So much reading to do!! And this place is very pleasant after today.

I do have one question you could all help me with perhaps? Honest opinions please. Many of my volunteers are very poor, and the stipend they receive from us really helps. Well, one of them came in today and asked me to front her $150. She would give me a post-dated check, but she needs to pay her rent.
There is no way our program can pay her in advance. (her check will arrive around the 20th of April). We have been instructed to say NO when someone comes in asking.
We called all the social service agencies today to see if they could help, and they can't.
She needs it. I've worked with her for 2 years now and know her situation well. She's never asked me before. I'm heartsick.
Kindness says yes.... practicality and cynicism and the RULES say no.
What do I do?

My recommendation is that you look into your own pocket book and see whether or not you can afford to help her or not. Your only recompense, since this is against the rules of your organization, is to lend her the money as a friend. If you do this, you have to take it for granted that you may not receive it back (at least all at once). That's how I view it whenever someone asks to borrow money (and not just from someone that is poor). I figure whether or not I can afford to NOT get the money back. If the answer is yes, then I would suggest you help her. You have already worked with her for a long time, so you are the best qualified to determine what kind of person she is. Life happens though, and she may not be able to pay you back right away. That's just the nature of money. Sorry if this sounds pretty rough, but that's how you have to look at it.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL