View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #26
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: First Impressions

Right, you can't queue anything, like you can in NWN 1 and 2. Well, you can queue one thing but no more than one. That I did notice immediately. Move and attack you can do by simply clicking the attack on an enemy, and your char will move within range and then perform the attack/spell. But to move somewhere "odd" and then attack, no, you gotta hold their hand with that (such as rogue backstabbing). These things I can live with, personally.

This engine and game are in their infancy. And for something so young it is very well polished considering everything else. It already runs better than most games I have played at launch. But I notice little things too, I mean, in your inventory you have a built in "Equip Compare" mod that shows what you are wearing in comparison to what the item you are viewing. That's an awesome touch. Then you have "party inventory" as opposed to one for each player, items are universal for ease of use. Usually games don't come with fine tuning like that until patches or expansions later - if they come at all.

Take NWN2 for example, I went back and played it there last week, and gave up within a few hours. Whatever they did to the aurora engine seems to be irreversible. The thing still groans under scripting and spawning, while load times take an eternity and the AI seems not to have improved at all. Yet NWN1, while it is old, is very well optimized now, yet after 2-3 years NWN2 is still falling behind.
I uninstalled it, despite my best intentions to play the thing through, I simply could not do it. "Clunky" doesn't even describe my experience. Then DA:O came along, and now I doubt I will ever pick up NWN2 again. This game is where its at imo. Man, EA have done well this year, Sims 3 and DA:O alongside the lukewarm success of WAR.