View Single Post
Old 12-22-2002, 10:31 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

You must remember that "Lawful Good" is just as extreme an alignment as "Chaotic Evil". I think all Paladins have to fight with that in themselves. Going back to the bag of coins question and the beggar, the "Lawful" thing to do would be to deliver the coins intact to the king, ignoring the beggar (that would actually be Lawful Neutral), while the "Good" thing to do would be to give the beggar some of the coins, breaking your promise in doing so (which would be more in accordance with Neutral Good). This is the dilemma that the Paladin has to face in every single one of his/her actions. I'd say that the "Lawful Good" action would be to give the beggar some of the coins, and then obtain work to make up the difference to bring to the king.

It is this moral dilemma, the difference between "Lawful" and "Good" that really makes up the character of the Paladin, and why the class is so extremely difficult to play.

I would think a similar moral dilemma would exist in the Druid classes, playing the True Neutral role in its most perfect sense of utter balance between the forces of Law and Chaos, Good and Evil. I also find the Druid the most difficult class to play for that reason.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote