View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #29
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Down Re: Dragon Age 2 (Rant included, PG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundee Slaytern View Post
Having completed Dragon Age 2 twice so far, with a 3rd play-through in progress, I must remark that overall, it has been a VERY engaging experience.

The neat thing is... not in a rainbows and robot unicorns way. I actually lost my temper multiple times and wrangled with internal frustration at the machinations going on in the game. Most of the recruit-able NPCs made me want to punt them off a cliff instead of saving them from their self-induced misery and conflict.

For all my anger though... it made me think, "Wow... this game really pushed my buttons." Most games choose to give you the option to save the world, get the girl, and pat the puppy along the way.

Not Dragon Age 2. I would elaborate more, but won't due to spoilers.

Needless to say, it has been very riveting; and now that I have gushed enough over the story element, I want to state that I want to face-punch the team in charge of the combat system.

Make up your damn minds. Don't mash styles haphazardly and hope it works out for the best. It's totally inane that if an enemy gets pushed back, your controlled character stops attacking entirely until you re-target the target. It also irks me every time a right-click cancels my current action.

I really miss the days when I could script the whole party to fight for themselves. I so want the option to let my selected character self-utilise his/her own tactics during combat.

Cheers.
Twice already, my god.

I can barely play an hour or so before it frustrates me. It seems I just can't get into these DA games. Evidently they're not for me. Part one was the same for me, only I progressed a little further, but that was probably because I was waiting for the whole "Spiritual successor to BG" part to kick in. It never did.

The NPC's never shut up - I despise being interrupted every few mins. I also hate cutscenes filled with badly rendered avatars who are scripted to convey emotions they just can't. Wooden puppets come to mind. While the combat is alot more fun than part one, I eventually realize that I amn't terribly necessary, as my team takes care of most of the mobs before I get off a solid attack. Either that, or I'm dead before I get an attack off. One extreme or another most of the time. Take this with a grain of salt, as I don't know anything about later battles as I have not gotten far into it at all so I dunno if this all changes. I would like to think it gets a bit more challenging/interesting. Also, the cliche factor in dialogue and acting is still there - although I will say it is not as cheesy as DA 1.

I dunno. I remember being interrupted in BG 1 and 2 yet it didn't annoy me at all. I was actually interested in what the character was saying. And there were no technical pre-scripted cutscenes either - just a dialogue box with a picture of a partymember/NPC along with a voiceover. Yet it worked fabulously. I said it before, maybe it's just the lack of D&D factor for me. Holding out for this new Neverwinter game in the future.