Old 01-27-2003, 01:47 AM   #7
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by Skunk:
quote:

Eisen for being non-violent the Green party here in the US has been responsible for quite a number of maiming's and human injuries through their tactic of spiking trees about to be taken by lumberjacks.
Any illegal activity which is designed to influence public or government opinion meets the definition of terrorism under the Patriot Act - so it would also include Greenpeace (whose actions although non-violent are often illegal).

The definition of terrorism has become a little too wide...
[/QUOTE]I didn't say anything about terrorism...why did you quote me then go off on a completely nonrelated tangent? I was countering Eisens claims that the Greens were far far from non-violent. I did not call them terrorists....though now that you brought it up they are eco-terrorists, trying to impose their will via illegal means since they cannot sway the majority to their cause via legal methods.
[/QUOTE]Last I checked the Green Party was offically recognized as a political party in the US in the majority of states (I think it is around 35-40 now). They even ran a canidate for the Presidancy last time around, you may remember a guy named Ralph Nadar.

The actions you descriped Magik are mostly associated with Earth First! they have as much to do with the offically recognized political party as the KKK's actions have to do with the Republican Party's. As a matter of the fact the Green Party's way do doing thing is pretty antithetical to the the direct action fringe. To the best of my knowledge even the radical fringe of the environmental movement that advocated such violent direct action stopped over a decade ago. Now they go for the more of the non-violent tree sitting route.

Besides the illeagal actions of major corporations kill, maim and wreck more widespread economic damage then the tree spikers ever did. Maybe we should start adding CEO's like Kenneth Lay to the No-Fly lists [img]smile.gif[/img] But he did give a bucket full of bucks to Dubya, so I guess that is far from likely.

edit:

Oh, and btw. I've been a registered Green in California of over 10 years, and have NEVER advocated or approved of violent direct action in support of my beliefs. This is also at the root of why I have severe reservations about war in Iraq, till all other means have been exhaused. Violent direct action (like War) should always be the absolute last method of resolving international problems, not the first.

[ 01-27-2003, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: Rokenn ]