View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 07:43 AM   #35
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
Ahh..women in men's sport. How interesting. You know this reminds me while I was still schooling at secondary school. The school gathered a team of girls footballer ( for the coming girls football tournament ) and have a little match against us boys. Guess what? 3 minutes into the game the score is already 4 - 0 ( boys are leading of course ). Not long after that the girls start to shout foul because of unwanted hands start to fly in all direction. At one time the girl's team goalkeeper cried because my friend blast the ball right at her. Wanna know what's the final result is? there was none! the goalkeeper was so afraid of returning to her post ( after finish crying ) that the match has to be abandoned! heh! imagine that.

So you see, I strongly against women to play in a men's sport. Especially in football.
That's a good point about your friends' reaction, Kakero. As others have pointed out, men's football can get very rough. If a woman wants to play on a men's team, then she should ask herself if she TRULY wants to get the SAME treatment as all the other men - including the Vinnie Jones diving headbutt (whatever that is).

I know in the American version of football, it would simply be impossible for a woman to compete because there is SO MUCH hitting and tackling. The few females that HAVE managed to get on a football team in high school invariably made the team as the field goal kicker. That's about the ONLY position where the other team isn't allowed to crush the player.

This isn't a slam against women in any way. It's just an acknowledgement of the fact that there IS an inherent difference in physical size and strength between men and women and that will always be the case (with a few rare exceptions of course).

From what I've seen on TV of soccer (football to the rest of the world), it does look a bit "safer" than the American sport of football - so perhaps a woman could compete on the men's level a bit easier. But listening to the descriptions of the action from all the other fans of the sport here, it sounds like she would still stand a good chance of getting pounded on a regular basis.

Most experiments of women "crossing over" into men's domains has not worked. The female golfer (that I believe wellard mentioned earlier) managed to get permission to compete in a men's tournament, and was eliminated early in the second round. A few years ago, a female went to the Supreme Court here in America demanding the right to attend a previously all-male military academy. The Supreme Court said the school MUST change their enrollment policy to allow the female cadet. There was a big brouha about it in the media for most of the summer. However, the media did NOT make much of a story when the female DROPPED OUT of the Academy about halfway through her 1st semester. Yeah, I'm sure she got a LOT of razzing from some of the other students, but I'm also sure there were some that "took up" for her. The bottom line was that she couldn't cut it.

Personally, it makes me angry when women cry "discrimination" if they aren't allowed to participate in an all-male venue - but it's perfectly alright for them to keep all-female venues in similar areas. I wonder what the Supreme Court would say if a male student sued to be allowed to attend an all-girl college?

But as for men "crossing over" to the female teams in sports - it ain't gonna happen. Seriously, what man wants to admit that he can't play with the guys so he has to go the GIRL'S team in order to compete? Again, no slam against women at all, just stating a fact. Any "crossing over" in sports will definitely be a ONE WAY street.

[ 12-24-2004, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Cerek ]